- How Bounce Rate is defined? &
- How it is Perceived?
- What is Bounce Rate? Definition Wars..
- Why is Your Bounce Rate High? Does You Website Really Suck??
- High Bounce Rate Categorization
- 15 Ways To Reduce Bounce Rates in Google Analytics.
So, What is Bounce Rate? Definition Wars..
#1 Wiki Definition:
Well, Have a look
Remember Sessions are only initiated with any Interaction Hits.
So, Why is Your Website Bounce Rate High? Is It Bad?
- Bookmarked The Site & Left
- Site Opened in another hidden tab with no interaction for more than 30min
- High Page Load
- Targeting Wrong Audience.
- Read the whole article & left.
& the list goes on.
- If you are an ecommerce site & goal is to increase transactions then yes, high bounce rates are bad.
- If you want to collect leads on a single page form, then high bounce rates are normal.
15 Ways To Reduce High Bounce Rates in Google Analytics
A.) UI/UX Optimization:
1.) Fix Usability Issues
- Visitor Scrolling through the bottom of the page or
- Trying to fill the form
- Clicking on any outbound link.
- Website Functionality Not Working.
- User getting frustated
- & more
2.) Design Visually Compelling Landing Pages
- Ideal Font-Size: 14px
- Ideal Font-Family: Georgia
If you have a blog or single landing page, then this is a must.
- Simple Chocolate Cake Recipe For Beginners
- Chocolate Cake Recipe with Egg
- Chocolate Cake Recipe without Egg
- & so on……
If you have adwords paid traffic to your high bounce rate pages,
then you can use Search Query & Landing Page relevancy report to find search intent of users & include it as a new heading.
- Use Webinars
- Display Customer testimonials
- Display Reviews
- Highlight User Problems
- Highlight The Benefits Of Services/Product
3.) Avoid Long Paragraphs
- Very complex
- Difficult Jargons
- Low Quality Content
- Short sentences.
- Gaps between words.
- Images / Gifs
- Bullet Points
- Bold Important Texts.
- Links to Credible Resources
4.) Optimize Search Query & Landing Page Relevancy
5.) Provide Relevant Links/Offers on the Page
- Internal Links
- External Links
- Hash Links withing the content
- Links to Pdfs,Docs,audio/video, etc
6.) Avoid Using Audio On Page Load
- Use autoplay for clips < 5sec
- Provide Stop/Pause Otions ofr clips > 5sec.
7.) Use Surveys To Understand the Issues
- Your Content Quality
- Website User Persona.
- User Experience Issues
- How Likely Are You To Recommend Product XYZ To Your Colleague?
- How Would You Rate This Content?
- What Category Content Are You Interested In?
B.) Marketing Channel Optimization
8.) Stop Targeting Wrong Audience
- Running Campaigns with wrong targeting options
- Running Display Campaigns on non-relevant sites
- Guest Posting on different niche sites.
- Sharing posts in irrelevant groups.
- Misleading AdCopy OR blog titles.
- Partnering with wrong affiliates
- & so on..
- Find the Channel With High Bounce Rate.
- Create a User Segment of those channels.
- Check if bounced users are retained.
What if the user had bounced for some other reasons. Maybe, planning to come later to buy your product or read your blog.
- You can go to google analytics Cohort Reports
- Check the User Retention of Channel with High Bounce Rate.
(For Ecommerce/Lead websites, You Can View Revenue/User & Goals/User resp)
- Go To Analytics > Create A Loyal User Segment ( Transaction/Macro Goal > 0 ) .
If you have a Blog, then create Loyal Readers Segment ( Users having Sessions Duration > 240 & pages/sessions > 3 ) or (Goal (Subcribers) > 0)
- Go To Audience Reports & See If the Demographics & Interests match
If the distribution doesn’t match, then you have some targeting problem. Focus on targeting dimension with maximum distribution in loyal users. (Eg: 25-44 Age Groups)
9.) Pause Devices with High Bounce Rates
- Fix Mobile Issues
- Stop Targeting Traffic to your mobile devices.
Sometimes the excess pop-ups or ads might create a clutter but do check the exact issue.
10.) Facebook & Adwords High Bounce Rates Fix
- Search Partners
- Search Networks
- Mobile App Ads
- Youtube Placement
- News Site Placement
- Info sites
- Desktop Feed Ads
- Side Ads
C.) Technical Optimization
11.) Use Page visibility API instead of Adjusted Bounce Rates
12.) Reduce Page Load & Implement AMP (Accelerated Mobile Pages)
13.) Track AJAX Forms via Interaction Hits
14.) Add Scroll Tracking
- There are 1000s of reason of users bouncing from your site. Always start with bounce rate analysis.
- If you are bringing in traffic to your website via some campaign/affiliate. Check if the visitors return after bouncing. If not, simply pause that campaign!!
- If you are not aware of coding, take help of some developer to implement Technical Optimization. Else you might mess up the data.
- Feel Free to comment your thoughts.